Rocket attack on Afghan capital as president performs Eid prayers

KABUL, July 20:  At least rockets landed near the Afghan presidential palace on Tuesday as Ashraf Ghani and a group of other leaders marked the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha with prayers in the garden.

Although there was no immediate claim of responsibility, it was the first rocket attack on Kabul since the Taliban launched a of offensives to coincide with the final drawdown of foreign troops the war-wracked country.

The early morning holiday calm was shattered by the sound of incoming rockets heard across the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses the presidential palace and several embassies, the US mission.

In a video posted on the official palace Facebook page, dozens of men can be seen continuing with their prayers even as the rockets are heard overhead and exploding nearby.

President Ghani, dressed in traditional Afghan clothing and a turban, stands at the front and appears to not even flinch as the crowd bows together.
“The Taliban have proved that they have no will and intention for peace,” he said in a speech afterwards.

Interior ministry spokesman Mirwais Stanikzai said three rockets appeared to have fired from a pickup truck. One did not detonate, he said. “Based on our initial information, we have no casualties,” he added.

Also Read  DDC exports 60,000 litres of ghee

The palace was attacked last year as hundreds of people gathered to watch Ghani’s inauguration ceremony, prompting some to flee.

The jihadist Islamic group (IS) claimed responsibility for that attack, with no reports of casualties.

Tuesday’s attack coincides with a sweeping Taliban offensive across the country as foreign forces wind up a troop withdrawal scheduled to be by August 31.
It also comes a day after more than a dozen diplomatic missions in Kabul called for “an urgent end” to the insurgents’ ruthless military offensive, saying it was at odds with claims they want to secure a political deal to end the conflict.

The statement follows another round of inconclusive talks in Doha over the weekend between the Afghan government and the Taliban that many hoped would kickstart the ailing peace process.

– Little progress –
“The Taliban’s offensive is in direct contradiction to their claim to support a negotiated settlement,” the statement read.

“It has resulted in of innocent Afghan lives, including through continued targeted killings, displacement of the civilian population, looting and burning of buildings, destruction of vital infrastructure, and damage to communication networks.”
For months, the two sides have been meeting on and off in the Qatari capital have achieved little, with talks appearing to have lost momentum as the militants make battlefield gains.

Also Read  UML leader Bishnu Poudel hold talks with senior leader Nepal

A joint statement late Sunday said they had agreed on the need to a “just solution”, and to meet again next week.

“We also agreed that there should be no pause in the negotiations,” Abdullah Abdullah, who oversees the Afghan government’s delegation, told AFP on Monday.

He noted, however, that neither side was currently pursuing a joint ceasefire during the talks, despite urgent calls from Afghan civil and the international community to end the fighting.

The Taliban and government have previously announced ceasefires during some religious holidays.

Following the weekend summit, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that his administration hoped to start talks with the Taliban over the group’s refusal to let Ankara run the Kabul airport after US troops withdraw from Afghanistan.

Turkey has been negotiating with US defence officials over an of

Read full story at Rato Pati

Don't Miss

Ratopati.comhttps://www.ratopati.com
Ratopati.com is one of the leading digital news portals of Nepal.

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Latest posts

Nepal Citizens Clinch Lesser Foreign Jobs in Last Year

Nepali nationals landing jobs in international locations has become a complex task as government data reflects that slightly more than one-third of the previous...

33-kg-gold scam-accused Bhoje lands in police net

KATHMANDU: Police have arrested Bhoj Raj Bhandari alias Bhoje, a fugitive accused of the 33-kg-gold scam. Bhandari, who had gone into hiding after being...

Rotary Club of Kasthamandap honors State Minister Shrestha

KATHMANDU: Rotary Club of Kasthamandap has honored newly elected Minister of State for Health and Population Umesh Shrestha on Friday. Speaking at the felicitation...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!

Rocket attack on Afghan capital as president performs Eid prayers

KABUL, July 20:  At least three rockets landed near the Afghan presidential palace on Tuesday as Ashraf Ghani and a group of other leaders marked the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha with prayers in the garden.

Although there was no immediate claim of responsibility, it was the first rocket attack on Kabul since the Taliban launched a series of offensives to coincide with the final drawdown of foreign troops from the war-wracked .

The early morning holiday calm was shattered by the sound of incoming rockets heard across the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses the presidential palace and several embassies, including the US mission.

In a video posted on the official palace Facebook page, dozens of men can be seen continuing with their prayers even as the rockets are heard overhead and exploding nearby.

President Ghani, dressed in traditional Afghan clothing and a turban, stands at the front and appears to even flinch as the crowd bows together.
“The Taliban have proved that they have no will and intention for peace,” he said in a speech afterwards.

Interior ministry spokesman Mirwais Stanikzai said three rockets appeared to have been fired from a pickup truck. One did not detonate, he said. “Based on our initial information, we have no casualties,” he added.

Also Read  Gold price increased by Rs 100 per tola

The palace was last year as hundreds of people gathered to watch Ghani’s inauguration ceremony, prompting some to flee.

The jihadist Islamic State group (IS) claimed responsibility for that attack, with no reports of casualties.

Tuesday’s attack coincides with a sweeping Taliban offensive across the country as foreign wind up a troop withdrawal scheduled to be complete by August 31.
It also comes a day after more than a dozen diplomatic missions in Kabul called for “an urgent end” to the insurgents’ ruthless offensive, saying it was at odds with claims they want to secure a political deal to end the conflict.

The statement follows another round of inconclusive talks in Doha over the weekend between the Afghan government and the Taliban that many hoped would kickstart the ailing peace process.

– Little progress –
“The Taliban’s offensive is in direct contradiction to their claim to support a negotiated settlement,” the statement read.

“It has resulted in loss of innocent Afghan lives, including through continued targeted killings, displacement of the civilian population, looting and burning of buildings, destruction of vital infrastructure, and damage to communication networks.”
For months, the two sides have been meeting on and off in the Qatari capital but have achieved little, with talks appearing to have lost momentum as the militants make battlefield gains.

Also Read  Tourism entrepreneurs pull their shocks up to revive 'Green East'
Also Read  UML leader Bishnu Poudel hold talks with senior leader Nepal

A joint statement Sunday said they had agreed on the need to reach a “just solution”, and to meet again next week.

“We also agreed that there should be no pause in the negotiations,” Abdullah Abdullah, who oversees the Afghan government’s delegation, told AFP on Monday.

He noted, however, that neither side was currently pursuing a joint ceasefire during the talks, despite urgent calls from Afghan civil society and the international community to end the fighting.

The Taliban and government have previously announced ceasefires during some religious holidays.

Following the weekend summit, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that his administration hoped to start talks with the Taliban over the group’s refusal to let Ankara run the Kabul airport after US troops withdraw from Afghanistan.

Turkey has been negotiating with US defence officials over an of

Read full story at Rato Pati

Don't Miss

Ratopati.comhttps://www.ratopati.com
Ratopati.com is one of the leading digital news portals of Nepal.

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Latest posts

Nepal Citizens Clinch Lesser Foreign Jobs in Last Year

Nepali nationals landing jobs in international locations has become a complex task as government data reflects that slightly more than one-third of the previous...

33-kg-gold scam-accused Bhoje lands in police net

KATHMANDU: Police have arrested Bhoj Raj Bhandari alias Bhoje, a fugitive accused of the 33-kg-gold scam. Bhandari, who had gone into hiding after being...

Rotary Club of Kasthamandap honors State Minister Shrestha

KATHMANDU: Rotary Club of Kasthamandap has honored newly elected Minister of State for Health and Population Umesh Shrestha on Friday. Speaking at the felicitation...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!

Rocket attack on Afghan capital as president performs Eid prayers

KABUL, July 20:  At least three rockets landed near the Afghan presidential palace on Tuesday as Ashraf Ghani and a group of other leaders marked the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha with prayers in the garden.

Although there was no immediate claim of responsibility, it was the first rocket attack on Kabul since the Taliban launched a series of offensives to coincide with the final drawdown of foreign troops from the war-wracked country.

The early morning holiday calm was shattered by the sound of incoming rockets heard across the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses the presidential palace and several embassies, including the US mission.

In a video posted on the official palace Facebook page, dozens of men can be seen continuing with their prayers even as the rockets are heard overhead and exploding nearby.

President Ghani, dressed in traditional Afghan clothing and a turban, stands at the front and appears to even flinch as the crowd bows together.
“The Taliban proved that they have no will and intention for peace,” he said in a speech afterwards.

Interior ministry spokesman Mirwais Stanikzai said three rockets appeared to have been fired from a pickup truck. One did not detonate, he said. “Based on our initial information, we have no casualties,” he added.

Also Read  Outgoing PM Oli begins address to nation (LIVE)

The palace was attacked last year as hundreds of people gathered to Ghani’s inauguration ceremony, prompting some to flee.

The jihadist Islamic State group (IS) claimed responsibility for that attack, with no reports of casualties.

Tuesday’s attack coincides with a sweeping Taliban offensive across the country as foreign forces wind up a troop withdrawal scheduled to be complete by August 31.
It also comes a day after more than a dozen diplomatic missions in Kabul called for “an urgent end” to the insurgents’ ruthless military offensive, saying it was at odds with claims they want to secure a political deal to end the conflict.

The statement follows another round of inconclusive talks in Doha over the weekend between the Afghan government and the Taliban that many hoped would kickstart the ailing peace process.

– Little progress –
“The Taliban’s offensive is in direct contradiction to their claim to support a negotiated settlement,” the statement read.

“It has resulted in loss of innocent Afghan lives, including through continued targeted killings, displacement of the civilian population, looting and burning of buildings, destruction of vital infrastructure, and damage to communication networks.”
For months, the two sides have been meeting on and off in the Qatari capital but have achieved little, with talks appearing to have lost momentum as the militants make battlefield gains.

Also Read  NC’s largest active members range between ages 41 to 60

A joint statement Sunday said they had agreed on the need to reach a “just solution”, and to again next week.

“We also agreed that there should be no pause in the negotiations,” Abdullah Abdullah, who oversees the Afghan government’s delegation, told AFP on Monday.

He noted, however, that neither side was currently pursuing a joint ceasefire during the talks, despite urgent calls from Afghan civil and the international community to end the fighting.

The Taliban and government have previously announced ceasefires during some religious holidays.

Following the weekend summit, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that his administration hoped to start talks with the Taliban over the group’s refusal to let Ankara run the Kabul airport after US troops withdraw from Afghanistan.

Turkey has been negotiating with US defence officials over an of

Read full story at Rato Pati

Don't Miss

Also Read  A popular Nepali Instagram page has been roundly chastised for promoting female objectification
Ratopati.comhttps://www.ratopati.com
Ratopati.com is one of the leading digital news portals of Nepal.

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Latest posts

Nepal Citizens Clinch Lesser Foreign Jobs in Last Year

Nepali nationals landing jobs in international locations has become a complex task as government data reflects that slightly more than one-third of the previous...

33-kg-gold scam-accused Bhoje lands in police net

KATHMANDU: Police have arrested Bhoj Raj Bhandari alias Bhoje, a fugitive accused of the 33-kg-gold scam. Bhandari, who had gone into hiding after being...

Rotary Club of Kasthamandap honors State Minister Shrestha

KATHMANDU: Rotary Club of Kasthamandap has honored newly elected Minister of State for Health and Population Umesh Shrestha on Friday. Speaking at the felicitation...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!

Rocket attack on Afghan capital as president performs Eid prayers

KABUL, July 20:  At least three rockets landed near the Afghan presidential palace on Tuesday as Ashraf Ghani and a group of other leaders marked the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha with prayers in the garden.

Although there was no immediate claim of responsibility, it was the first rocket attack on Kabul since the Taliban launched a series of offensives to coincide with the final drawdown of foreign troops from the war-wracked country.

The early morning holiday calm was shattered by the sound of incoming rockets heard across the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses the presidential palace and several embassies, including the US mission.

In a video posted on the official palace Facebook page, dozens of men can be seen continuing with their prayers even as the rockets are heard overhead and exploding nearby.

Ghani, dressed in traditional Afghan clothing and a turban, stands at the front and appears to not even flinch as the crowd bows together.
“The Taliban have proved that they have no will and intention for peace,” he said in a speech afterwards.

Interior ministry spokesman Mirwais Stanikzai said three rockets appeared to have been fired from a pickup truck. One did not detonate, he said. “Based on our initial , we have no casualties,” he added.

Also Read  UML leader Bishnu Poudel hold talks with senior leader Nepal

The palace was attacked last year as hundreds of people gathered to watch Ghani’s inauguration ceremony, prompting some to flee.

The jihadist Islamic State group (IS) claimed responsibility for that attack, with no reports of casualties.

Tuesday’s attack coincides with a sweeping Taliban offensive across the country as foreign forces wind up a troop withdrawal scheduled to be complete by August 31.
It also comes a day after more a dozen diplomatic missions in Kabul called for “an urgent end” to the insurgents’ ruthless military offensive, saying it was at odds with claims they want to secure a political deal to end the conflict.

The statement follows another round of inconclusive talks in Doha over the weekend between the Afghan government and the Taliban that many hoped would kickstart the ailing peace process.

– Little progress –
“The Taliban’s offensive is in direct contradiction to their claim to support a negotiated settlement,” the statement read.

“It has resulted in loss of innocent Afghan lives, including through continued targeted killings, displacement of the civilian population, looting and burning of buildings, destruction of vital infrastructure, and damage to communication networks.”
For months, the two sides have been meeting on and off in the Qatari capital but have achieved little, with talks appearing to have lost momentum as the militants make battlefield gains.

Also Read  NC’s largest active members range between ages 41 to 60

A joint statement late Sunday said they had agreed on the need to reach a “just solution”, and to meet again week.

“We also agreed that there should be no pause in the negotiations,” Abdullah Abdullah, who oversees the Afghan government’s delegation, told AFP on Monday.

He noted, however, that neither side was currently pursuing a joint ceasefire during the talks, despite urgent calls from Afghan civil society and the international community to end the fighting.

The Taliban and government have previously announced ceasefires during some religious holidays.

Following the weekend summit, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that his administration hoped to start talks with the Taliban over the group’s refusal to let Ankara run the Kabul airport after US troops withdraw from Afghanistan.

Turkey has been negotiating with US defence officials over an of

Read full story at Rato Pati

Don't Miss

Ratopati.comhttps://www.ratopati.com
Ratopati.com is one of the leading digital news portals of Nepal.

More from author

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related posts

Latest posts

Nepal Citizens Clinch Lesser Foreign Jobs in Last Year

Nepali nationals landing jobs in international locations has become a complex task as government data reflects that slightly more than one-third of the previous...

33-kg-gold scam-accused Bhoje lands in police net

KATHMANDU: Police have arrested Bhoj Raj Bhandari alias Bhoje, a fugitive accused of the 33-kg-gold scam. Bhandari, who had gone into hiding after being...

Rotary Club of Kasthamandap honors State Minister Shrestha

KATHMANDU: Rotary Club of Kasthamandap has honored newly elected Minister of State for Health and Population Umesh Shrestha on Friday. Speaking at the felicitation...

Want to stay up to date with the latest news?

We would love to hear from you! Please fill in your details and we will stay in touch. It's that simple!